Immunization Requirements for Attending School in the State of Alabama
Alabama Schools must ensure that each pupil presents a valid Certificate of Immunization as required by the Code of Alabama, 16-30-4. A child’s entry and attendance in school is conditioned upon the presentation of a current and valid Alabama Certificate of Immunization unless a recognized exception applies. Exceptions include Medical and Religious Exemptions, and exemptions for those deemed Homeless under Federal Law. Students may register/enroll, but must not attend school until the requirement is met.
- ❖ Medical Exemption- Issued by the child’s Primary Care Physician or Specialty Physician
- ❖ Religious Exemption-Issued by the Alabama Department of Public Health. Contact them for further information
- ❖ Homeless under Federal Law- consult Dr. Aimee Rainey with Student Services, VHCS
How to obtain an Alabama Certificate of Immunization
- IF YOUR IMMUNIZATION STATUS IS UP TO DATE according to Alabama State requirements, meaning no immunization is required at present: A branch location of the Jefferson County Public Health Department will transfer your immunization dates for ALL students onto a State of Alabama Certificate of Immunization form at NO CHARGE. No appointment necessary. First come, first served. See hours of operation below. Please contact them for more information. You must provide Proof of Identity (Driver's License, Birth Certificate, Medicaid or Medicare Card, Employee/School Identification Badge, Social Security Card) and your Immunization Record/Information
- IF YOUR IMMUNIZATION STATUS IS NOT UP TO DATE
- You may choose to visit a Department of Public Health location (details below). You may also choose to visit a local Walk-In Health Clinic or contact a Physician’s office for appointment. Fees are determined by the facility. Immunization availability may vary. Contact them for more information.
- Students with Medicare/Medicaid/Uninsured/All Kids/BCBS/United Health Care - A branch location of the Jefferson County Department of Public Health will provide required immunizations and an Alabama Certificate of Immunization. No appointment necessary. Walk-ins welcome. A fee of $8 per immunization will be charged to Uninsured students. You must provide Proof of Identity (Driver's License, Birth Certificate, Medicaid or Medicare Card, Employee/School Identification Badge, Social Security Card) and your Immunization Record/Information. Contact them for more information.
Jefferson County Department of Health Clinics
M-F 7:45 – 3:30 (closed for lunch 11:30-12:30)
Morris Health Center
586 Morris Majestic Road
Morris, AL 35116 933.4242
Eastern Health Center
601 West Boulevard Roebuck
Birmingham, AL 35206 591.5180
Central Health Center
1400 Sixth Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233 930.1135
Western Health Center
631 Bessemer Super Highway
Midfield, AL 35228