Bus Driver Application Information
How To Become A Bus Driver
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License with a Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Must have a clean driving record with no DUI
- Cannot be Insulin dependent
How To Apply
- For full-time positions, complete a classified application online at ALSDE online application under the Bus Driver posting for Vestavia Hills City Schools.
- For substitute or part-time, go to: https://www.vhcs.us/Page/4158 and complete the Printable Application and Requirements for Substitute Nurses and Bus Drivers form. Please return to the Board Of Education office at 1204 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia Hills, AL 35216 in person or via mail. If you currently work for Vestavia Hills City Schools, an email to Dr. Patrick Martin or Michael Varner, Transportation Coordinator, will suffice.
- You must have your CDL Learner’s Permit before we can begin training. ● Obtain a background check at https://www.aps.gemalto.com/index.htm or by phone at (866)989-9316 (COST FOR BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE $50.25) If you are already an employee of an Alabama public school system, you do not need to go through the fingerprinting process again.
To Obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License
- Pass 4 tests given at the license office (Study manuals are available at your local license office or online via the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency ALEA):
- General Knowledge
- Air Brakes
- School Bus
(COST FOR THE CDL TEST IS $25)
After Passing The CDLTest:
- You will be given a Learner’s Permit
- Attend training sessions with our driver trainer and be signed off as ready-to-test.
- Attend a 12 hour State Department of Education New Bus Driver Certification Class - 3 days with 1-2 additional days possible for testing. Classes are 9AM to 1PM.
- Score at least 80% on written test given at end of 12 hour instruction class
- Pass a three part performance test:
- Pre-Trip Inspection
- Basic Control Skills Tests (backing)
- Driving Skills Test
- (COST FOR CDL IS $56.25)
Other Required Documentation
- Required Documentation to provide to the Transportation Department:
- A Class B CDL with Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Copy of high school diploma, college diploma, or GED
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Alabama School Bus Driver Physical Examination Report ( form can be obtained from the Transportation Dept) (COST FOR PHYSICAL WILL BE $50 - $100)
If you have any questions, please contact the Transportation Department at 205-402-5367 or 205-402-5387